Sunday, November 23, 2008

Humble Green Beans Cure for Coughs

It was a pleasant surprise. Mommy craved for green bean soup soon after the other day we had green bean soup at Thomson Plaza. I actually felt that I was going to catch the kids' flu bug with so little sleep and so much running around but got better with that single bowl of green bean soup.

Why not let the kids have them I thought, since I remembered my maternal grandma always saying that it is "cooling" in nature. The girls have been coughing so badly and I thought it couldn't get any worse. Plus, since I was craving it.....

We just boiled some green beans (costs us like only S$0.80 only) in a pot of water with a few pandan leaves for taste, some mini sago pearls for fun and some rock sugar. Can't use normal sugar as I heard it's heaty. So anyway, I braced myself for some protests by the kids as the last time I tried, Kieona hated green beans and refused any. (Can't blame her since I'm really not a green beans fan too.)

The sago helped a little and they both took some (without the beans as usual) and yesterday night, the cough seems to just disappear. Even Daddy felt the effects. He had been coughing badly (though not as bad in his sleep as the girls) and I didn't hear any resemblance of any coughs yesterday. They only coughed a little when they lay down and it wasn't incesant, like all the nights before. It remained so until morning when they woke up. Miracle, isn't it?

Today, they polished up the green beans soup before their nap and again no cough when they lay down to nap and none in between either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for their speedy recovery. Yay!!!!

No comments: